The edge stud finder has been around since the 1970s, having been patented, manufactured, and marketed through Zircon. Edge stud finders require you to calibrate the stud finder, then find the left and right edge of the stud independently, a three step process as illustrated below or on our How To page.
1. First place the stud finder on the wall. Push the button and hold. This will calibrate the stud finder.
2. While still holding the button, slide across the wall horizontally until you find the first edge.
3. You can let go of the button now.
4. Next pick up the finder, move to the other side of suspected stud, place back on the wall and push the button to calibrate again.
5. Slide the opposite direction till you find the other side of the stud.
The Zircon StudSensor e50 quickly and easily locates the edges of wood and metal studs and joists behind walls, floors, and ceilings. It has two scanning modes that allow you to scan more surfaces in your home than normal stud finders:
1. STUD SCAN mode locates the edges and center of wood or metal studs in normal walls up to 3/4 inch (19 mm) deep
2. DEEPSCAN mode doubles the scanning depth for walls up to 1-1/2 inches (38 mm) deep, and it enables scanning for joists in some ceilings and floors
For the e50, Zircon has wrapped up their proven, patented technology into a revolutionary new form. The e50’s new body design can be held comfortably in either hand at any angle and reduces normal scanning errors. The rubber overmolded grip also gives you a secure hold.
In addition to a new shape and updated components, the StudSensor e50 offers several additional features to make finding studs and joists as easy and as accurate as possible:
The StudSensor e50 is a higher-end edge-finding tool, striking the right balance of affordability and features for casual users.
Zircon StudSensor Pro SL quickly and easily locates the edges of wood and metal studs and joists behind walls, floors, and ceilings. The patented SpotLite Pointing System shines a beam of light on the wall to identify the target. FEATURES: Stud Scan mode locates the edges of wood or metal studs up to 3/4-Inch (19 mm) deep – DeepScan mode doubles the scanning depth to 1 1/2-Inch (38 mm) – Red LEDs light up every time a stud edge is approached – Patented SpotLite Pointing System, an audio alert, and a green LED signals when the stud edge is reached – Should scanning begin over a stud, Zircon’s patented “over-the-stud” indicator alerts the user to start the scan in a new location – Patented TruCal technology calibrates to any wall’s density and a steady green LED TruCal light alerts the user when the tool is ready and calibrated